There are so many social media ‘things' we have to manage these days that it can be rather tiresome and painful JUST to get one message out to everyone. Well, when you make a blog post now you won't have to suffer as much because there is a easy way to have your blog automatically make a Twitter post for you automatically!
This great plugin is called “Twitter Tools”. This is a constantly maintained WordPress plugin which will do just that: make a tweet for you whenever you make a new post.
Not a big deal right, why would you want something like that? Twitter'ing isn't hard! Yeah but think of it this way: if you schedule a lot of posts are you REALLY going to remember to go and manually make a tweet about every schedules post? Probably not. It's also great for scheduling posts and tweets when you're out on vacation so that people don't forget about you! 🙂
In the post you'll also find small quick tip on how to add personalized tracking to Twitter Tools (which isn't available by default). You'll find it at the bottom of the post.
Twitter Tools by Alex King is really a great a nifty plugin because not only can you have automated tweets from your blog post, but you can add a prefix to each tweet (required) and a few other nifty options!
Here's some things you can do:
- Make a tweet automatically from every new blog post
- Add any prefix you want, even a hash tag
- Create a blog post from every tweet you make
- Create tweets from your side bar stuff (I'm not exactly sure what this does yet)
- Experimental: Make a daily digest blog post from your daily Twitter Tweets
- Weekly twitter digest also available.
quick tip: Currently I have Twitter Tools set to auto post a tweet with the prefix “@JeanetteCates #blog30” so that any new blog post I make, for now, will automatically go towards the #Blog30 contest.
Interested in Twitter Tools to make your #Blog30 challenge life a lot easier? No worries, installing Twitter Tools is very easy:
- Sign in to your wordpress admin site thingy
- Go to Plugins -> Add New
- Search for “Twitter Tools”.
- You will find several “Twitter Tools” choices, but select only the one called “Twitter Tools” by Alex King current version (as of this writing) is 2.3.1
- Click Install on the right to install the plugin and follow the on screen instructions to install the plugin
Now, there are two more major steps to do before you can use Twitter Tools.
- Add your twitter username and password to Twitter Tools
- Enable the blog post to Twitter post setting thing.
You'll find both of these options under
Just copy and paste the “/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=twitter-tools.php” to the end of your site and you'll get there. Also, you can go through the Admin menu:
- Settings -> Twitter Tools
Enter in your twitter username and password and then make sure you test the login info. This will make sure Twitter Tools can connect properly to Twitter.
After that, this next step is extremely important so don't forget it:
- SELECT YES
After that all you have to do is scroll down and click “Update Twitter Tool Options”, don't forget it 🙂
One important this is tracking, which is something that Twitter Tools lacks. TT will shorten links for you automagically but it will not track them at all. There are two options to add tracking. Both are plugins:
If you use bit.ly, download the WP plugin:
If you Su.pr:
For each you'll have to add your personalized login info for either system.